Thursday 20 December 2007

Gas attack!

I recently read an article in a health-oriented magazine about the benefits of vitamin K, which it said was best obtained from real food, the recommended sources being cauliflower, beans and green leafy veg. The same magazine had an article on how to reduce flatulence, one tip being to reduce consumption of the foods which were mainly responsible – yes, you guessed it, cauliflower, beans and green leafy veg. Mind you, the same edition of the same mag had tips on reducing calories at Xmas dinner, one of which was serving Brussels sprouts with chestnuts instead of butter and bacon. 66 pages later on in the same magazine was a recipe for Brussels sprouts with – come on, now, if you can’t guess this one you’re not really trying!

But back to the subject of gas. I have always been a windy little person and I love my green veg with a passion – kale, Brussels sprouts, chard, spinach, cabbage – bring it all on, I say. After a nice green plateful, huge bubbles of self-generated gas churn around my lower intestines and can look quite alarming from the outside if you don’t know what they are, since my slimness makes then stand out like large moving lumps. It doesn’t cause me any pain, but of course there are social issues. I am consuming infusions of fennel, ginger and mint to help, but this will only do so much. I am unwilling to consume medication, which does not have greatly proven benefits in any case. The tips in the recent online Harvard Medical School leaflet weren’t really too helpful either. I don’t smoke, of course, don't drink much in the way of fizzy stuff, rarely eat eggs except the whites, and eat meat in modest amounts. It’s beans and the healthy leafy stuff that has the – um – explosive effect. So maybe I shall just have to live with it, and perhaps even turn it to some practical use. Has anyone any tips on how I can tap into this source of energy production? On a good day I should at least be able to run our household lighting system.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what you eat with your meals but you will probably find a great reduction if you eliminate eating any grains with those foods. Eat them alone and see what happens. Potatoes can also be problematic and you could experiment leaving them off to see if it helps.

Good luck!

Kay

Linda said...

Hi Kay
As my CR practice has progressed I have eaten less and less grain, in fact it is rare for me to even eat brown rice. I do have whole oats at breakfast which don't cause any problems, in fact the slight gumminess of oats is quite soothing. My usual main meal is a protein dish (chicken, fish, cottage cheese for example) with either a big salad or a plate of steamed vegetables. No rice, pasta, or bread with it. Today I made some fake rice with steamed shredded cauliflower. It was jolly good! I haven't eaten potatoes for ages. It's those healthy beans and greens that do it for me. Thar she blows!