Saturday 9 February 2008

Against the grain

After a lot more work with CRON-o-Meter I can see why little people are often advised not to eat grains. If you are a big person on 1800-2000 calories a day you can fit in some wholegrains pretty easily, but on 1200 calories a day there isn’t really much room for something that doesn’t provide serious nutrition, and grains, as are legumes, are pretty borderline. Yes they do provide some decent values of vitamins and minerals but not in the starry, ‘every calorie works hard for you’ way that vegetables do. Everything you can get from grains and legumes you can get from other stuff in better amounts per calorie. That doesn’t mean I am going to avoid them completely. As long as the overall daily nutrition is good, I can fit in a small amount of oats with other things for breakfast, some beans as part of a main dish, or the occasional half slice of wholewheat bread, though I wouldn’t do all of those things on the same day! I make my own bread and am experimenting with ways of fortifying it to give it more oomph nutritionally.

2 comments:

HkGrace said...

Amen, sister. Every time I read a mainstream newspaper or magazine "health" article about 5 servings of whole grains every day, I laugh. Sure, they're better than empty calories, but for mini CRONies like us they're not that helpful. Veggies + protein + omega 3s is pretty much how I think about my requisite foods.

Linda said...

When I have the time I am going to work on inventing a more nutritious bread. There may be tears and failures along the way....