Saturday 8 September 2007

Beach holiday

Five beaches to be precise: Juno, Gold, Sword, Utah and Omaha. We have just returned from a tour of the D-Day landing sites, and the places where battles were fought inland to get a foothold in Normandy over the 77 days of the 1944 campaign. So I have seen the Mulberry harbours, crossed the original Pegasus Bridge, and walked on Omaha beach. We also visited a number of war grave cemeteries, all beautifully and respectfully maintained. It’s humbling to think of all the young people who died for our freedom.

Normandy is of course, the land of cream, butter, and full-fat cheese, so I was a little concerned if my 4-day stay was going to pile on the calories. I took with me some apples almonds and low calorie cereal bars in case I was ever stuck somewhere with nothing at all I wanted to eat, but in the end I needn’t have worried. Breakfast was a buffet affair and there was always fresh fruit and plain yogurt. Most cafés will do a salad with seafood or chicken. Big surprise was a chain called Buffalo Grill, an American diner and the last place I would have expected to find low calorie meals, but they do a number of designated healthy dishes of less than 330 calories. Best one was the lean bison steak, grilled and served with a mound of steamed green beans sprinkled with garlic. Perfect. I did have a buckwheat pancake one day, stuffed with lettuce and goat’s cheese, but didn’t eat all the cheese. My main indulgence was a glass of good Merlot in the bar at the end of the day. At home I have about a quarter of that. I must have done something right as I returned the same weight as when I left.

Salads are easy to get but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of variety of vegetables. So I’m looking forward to getting back to my big mixed veg plates with cottage cheese for dinner. I’m used to some cereal fibre in my diet and everywhere most bread was white, so next time I go to France I will take some oatbran and oatgerm to add to my fruit and yogurt in the morning.

4 comments:

HkGrace said...

Hi Linda,
I've seen your comments on others' pages. If you'd like to read my blog email me at hkgraceblog@gmail.com and I'll add you to my reader list.

Unknown said...

I live in London, so I feel your pain. I order online the same frozen eggwhites that they sell at WF. They usually deliver the next day and egg whites are still frozen. It is sometimes a challenge to get through the whole carton, but I started cooking for my husband and kid with them as well. they are my primary source of protein besides fish.
You can get low fat organic mozzarela at Waitrose. No fat free stuff ofcourse. I can find some fat free cottage cheese but it really didn't taste so good. Low fat ricotta also appears in Waitrose freezers, so give it a shot. Good luck!

Linda said...

thanks, tea - and nice to 'meet' another CR Londoner, we will all have to get together some time!

Sara said...

If you fancy coffee sometime, Linda, we can see if we can arrange it?