Monday 26 May 2008

Life, the CRONoverse and everything

Recent discussions on the CRS mailing list have reinforced what I was writing earlier. There is a sense in which there are no answers. Sometimes the only thing everyone is agreed upon is that there is no answer and sometimes there are very definite answers – several of them – and conflicting. The alcohol question, for example. Some say no, it’s empty calories and potentially addictive; some say yes in moderation, with study evidence to back it up. And then there is the protein question – two ends of the spectrum, two dedicated people, two opinions.

The only thing we in the middle can do is study and read everything, and try to understand as well as we can and then make our own decisions. This sounds daunting, after all it’s not about what colour to paint the front door, it’s about our lives. But of course we have already made the biggest decision we can – we are no longer putting junk food in our bodies, we concentrate on moderate amounts of fresh wholesome foods, try to ensure we get all our essential nutrients, and endeavour to keep fit. That in itself has huge value, and we are giving our bodies far more consideration than most other people. We can all see the benefits -- less visceral fat, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol. So at the moment we are all right, in a kind of global way.

3 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

You are so right..getting rid of the junk food and empty calories it the biggest step.
The protein question bothers me. i don't know how much to eat each day and I guess there are many opinions on that. But what is middle of the road on protein? How much protein do you eat each day?
I linked to your blog in a recent CRON post, as you are always so full of helpful inof.
Thanks!!

Linda said...

Thanks for your link - I shall have to put some in as well! Paul's CR Way is at the low end of the protein spectrum - he advised 0.8g per kg bodyweight. April and MR advise more than that, please correct me if I am wrong but it's about 1.5g per kg. With two such passionate yet divergent points of view what is the layperson to do? In the end I have come down on the higher protein side, 60g a day from all sources, including some high quality like poached salmon or chicken. This is because of my interest in protecting my little twiggy bones. But I'm no authority - I'm just as confused as everyone else!

Gypsy Girl said...

It took me a few minutes to convert from kg to pounds!! I am so bad at converting!!
So...if my math is correct...it seems that I should get 50g on the low side to 93g on the high side. My average for the last 2 weeks has been 83g per day, so I guess I am OK. My problem is I don't eat meat and I only eat fish a few times a week, so some days I am over 100g and other days I can be as low as 60g. That is probably a bad thing to have such a large range like that from day to day. I will have to work on that.
Thanks for your help.