Tuesday 13 May 2008

More blueberries, but hold the Kreem-o-wip

It has been said that England and America are two nations divided by a common language. This is certainly true when we talk about food. Not only do the same things have different names on either side of the pond e.g. aubergine (UK) = eggplant (US), but the same words are used for different things: ‘biscuit’ means something quite different in the US and UK. Unless someone has an interest in the food of all nations, however, I find that on both sides of the pond we are deeply ignorant of each other’s language of food. A friend of mine once spent ages scouring her local supermarkets for zucchini which an American pen-pal had told her were a healthy food. When she told me she had asked everywhere but couldn’t find any I had to tell her we call them courgettes. But why did neither of them know this? Why did the shop not know? Since we all correspond and talk on the subject I think we should try and find out. I mean, I don’t eat butter but I know how much there is in a stick, even though it isn’t sold in sticks in the UK.

Then of course there are some foods which are common on one side of the water but rare or unobtainable on the other. Quite a few varieties of greens on the food databases I have never seen on sale here, and the cheese buyer for the Kensington Wholefood store has just responded to my enquiry after fat-free mozzarella to say it isn’t available in the UK. (One US item I know I can now get here – the Oreo cookie has just been introduced to the UK. Gee – thanks.) I would like to make clam chowder but so far a complete lack of canned clams is proving a bit of a poser. If anyone spots some on sale, drop me a line. I am pleased to report however that blueberries, which used to be a rare luxury item are now readily available if wildly variable in price from week to week depending on country of origin. The odd thing is I believe they are grown in this country but I have never seen English ones on sale.

The worst problems recipe-wise come with branded products. This, I have to say is much less of a problem with CRON recipes as they tend to use a high proportion of fresh foods, but many American cookbooks use a lot of branded stuff as ingredients, much more so than English ones. I saw a review on the English Amazon site of a low calorie cookbook sold and bought in perfect good faith, which the buyer said she had found unusable as it was American and made extensive use of products unheard of over here and with no equivalent. You know the sort of thing I mean – ‘take one box of Mrs Bagel’s reduced fat blueberry waffle mix, a cup of Kreem-O-wip, a package of instant Choco-pud, one teaspoon Acme buttered popcorn flavouring’ - etc etc – I think the buyer of the book had a lucky escape - that sounds disgusting! (Actually I made up that example, but it’s not so far from the reality)

I am not sure what the answer to this is. CRON should be international. I know there is a feeling that the American terminology ought to be the standard one, and I can see why, but maybe the Wiki ought to have a table of ingredients with alternative names and suggestions as to what one might use if unable to get the item specified. At any rate, since we are an international organisation we should be sharing information with each other much better than we are. What do other people think?

4 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

Blueberries are wonderful. So rich in antioxidants and lots of other good nutrients. I love them so much
I grow my own. A good season I can pick them by the gallons. I freeze them and make great healthy smoothies to drink for breakfast throughout the year.

About CRON information being international, I agree. There should be a site somewhere that can help us out. If one exists, I haven't found it.

Linda said...

I got them today at a special half price bargain - £8 (that's about $16) a pound! I buy them when at their cheapest and freeze some for times when they are ruinously expensive. What is your favourite blueberry smoothie recipe?

Linda said...

I have done some googling and found some lists of US/UK food terms, but they aren't very extensive. Also there are a few errors. Some of the lists say that in the UK we call blueberries 'bilberries'. We don't. We call them blueberries. Bilberries are a different though very closely related fruit native to Europe, but not wideley available. I've never seen them on sale. There are a few 'pick-your-own' farms in the UK selling blueberries, so maybe I will organise a trip sometime!

Gypsy Girl said...

Blueberry Smoothie:
1/2 banana,1/2cup blueberries,1/2 cup whole milk yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk, 2 tablespoons brown rice protein powder, a dash of vanilla. Put it all in a blender and blend.
330 cal, 32g protein, 35g carbs, 7g fat, 22% vits, 16% minerals.

You could shave off some calories by using lowfat yogurt.